Thursday, September 8, 2011

Domestically challenged

I really think I may have "Domestic ADD"
Cooking, cleaning & basic household chores are like a "whirling dervish spinning about" in my brain. Sometimes I think I am going to hyperventilate just thinking about what to cook for dinner. The one thing that helps me think clearly, is looking at something cute & inspiring.

When I want to feel a sense of "domestic calm", I'll watch...

 Giada at Home
and the Barefoot Contessa.

 Giada and Ina both have this 
effortless way of cooking food that looks like art. 

Do you really want to know the real reason I love their shows...unfortunately, it's not for the food...
IT'S THEIR FABULOUS HOMES! DUH!!! 
I find myself drooling over Ina's ironstone collection and Giada's original artwork. Subconsciously, I love these shows because of their locations: Giada is based in Southern California and Ina is in South Hampton, New York (which looks a lot like Cape Cod to me). 

I'm completely conflicted on whose style I love best. Ina's style is so me, but something deep inside of me wants to go contemporary like Giada.

Let's begin with Giada De Laurentiis. 
Architectural Digest


Giada's style is modern, clean and hip. 

Architectural Digest
Architectural Digest

 Can you actually believe this is Giada's bedroom view! 
Is that photoshopped?

Architectural Digest

This is Giada's home overlooking the 
Pacific Ocean in Malibu, California

Architectural Digest

Architectural Digest

I think I could accomplish a lot in this office. And look, 
there's a yellow chair and it doesn't scare me.

Architectural Digest

I bet Giada doesn't have a problem 
with "skeeters" when she eats outside?


And now...(drumroll please)...
the fabulous Ina Garten!
I love to listen to her voice...it's like a tranquilizer for me. 
Ina is very calm and I always love how she wants to  
"take it up a notch" on everything she cooks. 

House Beautiful
House Beautiful

House Beautiful

House Beautiful

House Beautiful

House Beautiful

House Beautiful

House Beautiful


House Beautiful

House Beautiful

I think Ina's home really reflects my overall design aesthetic. 




House Beautiful
House Beautiful

I once took a test at church that said my "spiritual gift" was organization. This must explain why Ina's pantry and organized drawers are some of my favorite spaces in her house.

House Beautiful
House Beautiful
House Beautiful
Who'd have ever thought that orderly shelves & spice racks could be so mesmerizing. I just want to stare at it!
I hope that you all have a relaxing weekend, but, if you find yourself stressing out over what to cook for dinner, follow my motto..."If you can't stand the heat...get out of the kitchen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment